Applying for Disability
Applying for and being approved for disability benefits (SSDI) from the Social Security Administration (SSA) can be a time-consuming and challenging process. The National Psoriasis Foundation offers the following resources to help you prepare your case.
Learn more about disability benefits and eligibility requirements
- Disability planner: Explains Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income program benefits, who can receive benefits and how to qualify.
- Description of Social Security disability benefits and how to apply.
- Social Security Blue Book: A listing of impairments for adults. People with psoriasis may qualify under section 8.05 (skin disorders). People with psoriatic arthritis may qualify under section 1.02 (major dysfunction of a joint) and/or section 14.09 (inflammatory arthritis).
- Find a local Social Security field office »
Beginning your application
- Social Security Disability application process
- Tips for disability application process
- Helpful examples for completing the disability application
Social Security Administration Disability Starter Kit
Materials to submit with your application
- Letter of support from the National Psoriasis Foundation
- Facts about Psoriasis
- Facts about Psoriatic Arthritis
It's important to involve your doctor by requesting a letter that supports your disability claim. Your doctor can present your specific medical history and explain how psoriasis and/or psoriatic arthritis has affected your ability to work.
If legal assistance is needed, resources to help find a lawyer or disability representative in your area include:
- National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives
- LawHelp.org: Helps find free legal aid programs in local communities for those on low to moderate income.
Request an information packet
To request an information packet on applying for disability by mail from the National Psoriasis Foundation, please fill out the form below. The packet includes the materials listed above.
Note: We are only able to send to addresses within the United States.