About the National Psoriasis Foundation
The National Psoriasis Foundation (NPF) is a non-profit organization with a mission to drive efforts to cure psoriatic disease and improve the lives of those affected.
Founded in 1966 from a tiny classified ad in a Portland, Ore. newspaper, the Psoriasis Foundation has evolved to become the leading patient advocacy group for the more than 8 million Americans living with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.
As emerging research continues to demonstrate the serious, systemic effects of these chronic autoimmune diseases, our highest priority is to find a cure.
National Psoriasis Foundation Strategic Plan: July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2019
Our five-year strategic plan is driven by these goals:
- Accelerate discovery to cure psoriatic disease to:
- Raise the number of dollars invested annually by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to more than $18 million—a 50 percent increase;
- Increase the number of scientists studying psoriatic disease by 50 percent for a total of 13,500;
- Create a community of 1,000 people with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis who collaborate in research;
- Publish annual progress reports in key areas of psoriatic disease research;
- Invest 30 percent or more of annual NPF budget in research.
- Dramatically improve health outcomes for all with psoriatic disease to:
- Increase by half the number of people receiving appropriate treatment to 77 percent of those diagnosed with moderate to severe psoriasis, and 62 percent with psoriatic arthritis;
- Reduce from 50 to 30 percent the number of individuals who report their disease to be a problem in everyday life;
- Publish annual progress reports in key areas of psoriatic disease care and comorbidities;
- Increase NPF professional membership to 1,700 health care providers.
- Secure resources to achieve the mission by:
- Generating $20 million in total revenue;
- Maintaining a $3 million operating reserve;
- Doubling the number of volunteers engaged with NPF mission to more than 13,200.
- A volunteer Board of Directors steers the strategic direction of the National Psoriasis Foundation.
- Our Medical Board, made up of leading national psoriasis experts, provides medical guidance, leadership and advocacy.
- An executive staff of seasoned non-profit leaders drives the organization to achieve its strategic plan goals.