About the National Psoriasis Foundation
The National Psoriasis Foundation (NPF) is a non-profit organization with a mission to drive efforts to cure psoriatic disease and improve the lives of those affected.
Founded in 1966 from a tiny classified ad in a Portland, Ore. newspaper, the Psoriasis Foundation has evolved to become the leading patient advocacy group for the 7.5 million Americans living with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.
As emerging research continues to demonstrate the serious, systemic effects of these chronic autoimmune diseases, our highest priority is to find a cure.
National Psoriasis Foundation Strategic Plan: July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2019
Our five-year strategic plan is driven by these goals:
- Accelerate discovery to cure psoriatic disease to:
- Raise the number of dollars invested annually by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to more than $18 million—a 50 percent increase;
- Increase the number of scientists studying psoriatic disease by 50 percent for a total of 13,500;
- Create a community of 1,000 people with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis who collaborate in research;
- Publish annual progress reports in key areas of psoriatic disease research;
- Invest 30 percent or more of annual NPF budget in research.
- Dramatically improve health outcomes for all with psoriatic disease to:
- Increase by half the number of people receiving appropriate treatment to 77 percent of those diagnosed with moderate to severe psoriasis, and 62 percent with psoriatic arthritis;
- Reduce from 50 to 30 percent the number of individuals who report their disease to be a problem in everyday life;
- Publish annual progress reports in key areas of psoriatic disease care and comorbidities;
- Increase NPF professional membership to 1,700 health care providers.
- Secure resources to achieve the mission by:
- Generating $20 million in total revenue;
- Maintaining a $3 million operating reserve;
- Doubling the number of volunteers engaged with NPF mission to more than 13,200.
- A volunteer Board of Directors steers the strategic direction of the National Psoriasis Foundation.
- Our Medical Board, made up of leading national psoriasis experts, provides medical guidance, leadership and advocacy.
- An executive staff of seasoned non-profit leaders drives the organization to achieve its strategic plan goals.