Information for Applicants
1. Am I eligible to apply for an NPF research grant or trainee opportunity?
A: Eligibility requirements differ slightly for each grant mechanism. Please read the eligibility requirements for each NPF research grant on their individual RFA in the available funding opportunities page.
2. I am having trouble figuring out how to apply for a grant or research trainee opportunity. Where do I find application instructions?
A: A link to application instructions is listed above under each grant description and can also be found on the log-in screen of the grant application portal.
3. Does my budget proposal need to follow a specific format?
A: Budget proposals will be submitted via a webpage within the application form and follow the NIH-style format. Please refer to the application forms at Proposal Central for further instruction.
4. What are the important dates and deadlines for the NPF research grants and trainee opportunities?
A: More information about Bridge Grant deadlines can be found on the Bridge Grant RFA. Applications are closed for all other funding opportunities.
5. Can for-profit companies apply for your grants?
A: Yes, for-profit companies are eligible to apply for NPF research grants.
6. Can I apply to a grant/fellowship opportunity if I have not received my IRB or IACUC approval?
A: Yes, however IRB or IACUC approval should be initiated prior to date of award as to not delay your project start date.
7. Can I apply for your grants if I am not a citizen of the United States?
A:Yes, non-US citizens are eligible to apply for NPF research grants. Research can take place at institutions outside the United States for all of our grants.
8. Can I resubmit an application from a previous year?
A: Yes. If you are resubmitting a previous application, you will have the opportunity to identify as a resubmission on the application form and address last year's reviewer comments in a cover letter.
9. Can I apply to two NPF research grants this year?
A: The same PI may only apply to one NPF Research Traditional Grant mechanism per cycle. This excludes Summer Student Research Grants, and Psoriatic Disease Research Fellowships, in which an applicant to another granting mechanism can also apply as a mentor/supervisor on, and Bridge Grants.
10. Why is my file not uploading in the application form?
A: The online application form only accepts files in PDF format, so make sure all your files are saved as a PDF before uploading. If you are trying to upload your project proposal, it must be less than 20 MB and be in PDF format. If you are trying to upload any other document, it must be less than 5 MB and be in PDF format.
If you wish to submit multiple documents for a single field (e.g. multiple letters of support) you must combine these documents into a single PDF for upload.
If your file is larger than the maximum size accepted, you must condense the file before uploading. If you continue to experience issues, please notify email@example.com with your issue.
11. Can I use NPF research funds to cover indirect or overhead expenses?
A: No. NPF funds can only be used to cover direct project expenses. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions related to your budget.
12. What font type should I use on the grant application?
A: Please use font size 12 in Times New Roman, Arial, or Calibri.
Information for Current Grantees
1. What needs to be included in my final progress report?
A: Progress reports, final reports and expenditure reports are uploaded through the grants submission portal, Proposal Central. Awardees will receive a reminder email one month before reports are due. To log into your Proposal Central account, please visit: https://proposalcentral.com/.
Final progress reports must include the following:
· A non-confidential, Layman’s summary statement of progress: The statement should describe the research question, the aims of the project, and the project’s significance. This information may be shared with National Psoriasis Foundation donors.
· Original research aims.
· Progress and results.
· Project Deviations: Project Deviations: Please describe any deviations in your project timeline, goals or budget.
· Next steps: Please detail next steps in your research and plans for future grant submissions.
· A description of any deviations from the original project proposal with justifications for these deviations.
· Publications and presentations: Please cite publications (including abstracts) and presentation generated from this research.
· A complete list of Intellectual Property generated from the research.
· A detailed itemized report of all project expenditures.
· PI Electronic Signature
2. What needs to be included in my interim progress report?
A. Progress reports, final reports and expenditure reports are uploaded through the grant submission portal, Proposal Central. Awardees will receive a reminder email one month before reports are due. To log into your Proposal Central account, please visit: https://proposalcentral.com/.
Interim progress reports must include the following:
· Non-confidential, Layman’s summary statement of progress: The statement should describe the research question, the aims of the project, and the project’s significance. This information may be shared with National Psoriasis Foundation donors.
· Progress and results: Please outline progress you have made in this research.
· Project deviations: Please describe any deviations in your project timeline, goals, or budget.
· Publications and presentations: Please cite publications (including abstracts) and presentations generated from this research, if any.
· PI Electronic Signature
3. Does my expenditure report need to follow a specific format?
A: Expenditure reports will be uploaded through the grant submission portal, Proposal Central. Awardees will receive a reminder email one month before reports are due. To log into your Proposal Central account, please visit: https://proposalcentral.com/.
4. Is it possible to extend the project period?
A: It may be possible to be granted a no cost extension to the project period if the grantee will have a remaining unexpended balance and a circumstance arises that prohibits the completion of the project by the expiration date. No cost extension requests must be submitted via the ProposalCentral award profile and request Original Project Termination Date, Requested Project Termination Date, Amount of Unexpended Balance, Sufficient Detail substantiating a need for a NCE.
Please note, per the NPF contractual agreements, only one NCE can be approved per award period, with no more than a 12-month extension. NCEs must be submitted 30-days prior to the end of the award term.
If you are interested in submitting a NCE request, please contact email@example.com for the deliverable to be added to your award profile.
5. What kind of follow up can I expect from NPF during and after my grant period?
A: During the project period NPF may contact you for project updates, site visits, interviews, or other activities related to research communications, donor relations, advertising, and other media or special events. Following the project period, NPF may contact you in approximately 5 years for purposes of research program assessment.
If you have further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
6. How can I make changes to my awarded research proposal or budget?
To make changes to your awarded research proposal or budget, you must submit a signed, formal request letter detailing the request and substantiating the change on letter to email@example.com. If you are requesting changes your research proposal, an updated research proposal must be appended to the request.