When the University of Utah Department of Dermatology was looking for a creative way to raise money for the National Psoriasis Foundation, they decided to bet on fun.
By hosting a poker tournament, they were able to raise $3,000 in one night and have a really good time.
"It was just a blast," Dr. Kristina Callis Duffin, assistant professor of dermatology, said.
Here are some tips for hosting your own Team NPF poker night:
- Consider working with an established business that can offer tables, chips and experienced dealers. The Utah Department of Dermatology put together a Texas Hold 'em tournament, staffed by real dealers who brought tables and chips, said Callis Duffin. Participants spent $30 to get $1,000 in poker chips.
- Offer instruction for those new to the game. Novices at the tourney in Salt Lake City got lessons to help their game. Still, a few in attendance went out early, Callis Duffin said — but because it was all for a good cause, they were allowed to buy back in for just $15.
- Partner with the community and ask for donations and discounts – think venue, prizes and refreshments. Callis Duffin said some people made larger donations, and the department received lots of community support. A nearby country club donated the venue and local businesses offered prizes.
- Think about hosting a raffle in conjunction with your event. It gives everyone a chance to participate.
- Engage with Team NPF to get help and support for your event. We are really, really good at helping people set up Do-It-Yourself fundraising events in their communities.
About 40 people, including those from the department and local pharmaceutical representatives, raised $3,000 in just a few hours.
Callis Duffin encourages other dermatology offices to work with Team NPF to put together their own tournament.
"I would very much recommend doing it," she said. "It's a really fun way to raise money and to have fun within our department."
Team NPF puts the "fun" in fundraising. Don't believe us? Check out some of our other DIY fundraising events.
Driving discovery, creating community
For more than 50 years, we’ve been driving efforts to cure psoriatic disease and improve the lives of those affected. But there’s still plenty to do! Learn how you can help our advocacy team shape the laws and policies that affect people with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis – in your state and across the country. Help us raise funds to support research by joining Team NPF, where you can walk, run, cycle, play bingo or create your own fundraising event. If you or someone you love needs free, personalized support for living a healthier life with psoriatic disease, contact our Patient Navigation Center. And keep the National Psoriasis Foundation going strong by making a donation today. Together, we will find a cure.