May is PsA Action Month. This is the time of the year when the National Psoriasis Foundation (NPF) puts extra effort into showing you how you can thrive when living with psoriatic arthritis (PsA).
Approximately 2.4 million individuals in the U.S. are affected by PsA, a chronic, immune-mediated, inflammatory form of arthritis that can cause swelling, stiffness and pain in and around the joints and ligaments. One in three people with psoriasis may develop PsA, and early recognition, diagnosis and treatment are critical to relieve pain and inflammation and help prevent joint damage. In fact, delaying the treatment of PsA for as little as six months could result in permanent joint damage.
In 1997, we decided we had to ramp up our efforts to raise awareness of psoriatic disease among the general public. That year we launched Psoriasis Awareness Month, which is held annually in August. In 2017, after 20 years of raising awareness, we took the next logical step: To help people better understand all the new, safe and effective treatment options available and what they could do to live their best life. And so, Psoriasis Action Month was born.
In April 2017, we also launched the first issue of PsA Active magazine – and, in May, the first PsA Action Week (expanded to PsA Action Month in 2018).
NPF Resources Are Ready When You Want Them
This PsA Action Month, we invite you to explore our PsA Explainer or follow our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages to see how we’re encouraging people to take action to manage their psoriatic arthritis.
On Tuesday, May 5, 2020, NPF took part in #GivingTuesdayNow. Thank you to all who gave generously to support people with psoriatic disease while funding the research that may identify a diagnostic test for PsA (a huge unmet need in our community) or someday lead to a cure. Thanks to a generous contribution from the Wood Family, your #GivingTuesdayNow gifts were tripled – that means three times the impact!
Here are just a few things you can do starting today, to live your best life with PsA:
- #GivingTuesdayNow has passed, but the spirit of generousity continues. It's never too late to make a gift to support those with psoriatic disease. Every dollar makes a difference.
- Join us on May 23, 2020, for NPF PsA Virtual Active Day, designed to get you moving as you support NPF.
- Fill out the form to receive NPF’s “Physical Activity for PsA,” “Stretches for PsA” and “Mobility” quick guides.
- Listen to a new Psound Bytes podcast episode on "Nuances of Fatigue in Psoriatic Arthritis."
- Tell your story to your elected officials. Nothing resonates more with policymakers than you talking to them about the challenges of living every day with a chronic disease.
- Register for our free health webinar on PsA with special guest Arthur Mandelin, M.D., Ph.D.
Learn all you can about PsA and what you can do about it during PsA Action Month.
Driving discovery, creating community
For more than 50 years, we’ve been driving efforts to cure psoriatic disease and improve the lives of those affected. But there’s still plenty to do! Learn how you can help our advocacy team shape the laws and policies that affect people with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis – in your state and across the country. Help us raise funds to support research by joining Team NPF, where you can walk, run, cycle, play bingo or create your own fundraising event. If you or someone you love needs free, personalized support for living a healthier life with psoriatic disease, contact our Patient Navigation Center. And keep the National Psoriasis Foundation going strong by making a donation today. Together, we will find a cure.