Forty hours each week is a lot of time to spend in pain.
Luckily, for those who spend most of their day working at a desk, there are many products that can relieve some of the discomfort of psoriatic arthritis.
It's good to think of your work space as an airline cockpit, said Teresa Jeardeau, an occupational therapist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.
Keep supplies that are used frequently within easy reach, and if you're experiencing ongoing pain and discomfort, investigate some of these products that can ease psoriatic arthritis symptoms:
- Electric staplers and pencil sharpeners
- Gel pens, which tend to write more smoothly and have less "drag"
- Easy-open binders, like from EasyOpen brand
- Pen and pencil cushions
- Self-opening scissors
- Track pads (an alternative to using a computer mouse)
- Computer glasses (not reading glasses)
- Document holders
- A good chair with lumbar support and a five-point base, such as Bodybilt Ergonomic chairs
- Dictation programs such as Dragon Dictation
- A monitor stand that brings monitors to eye level
Specifically, Jeardeau recommends these products, which her patients with psoriatic arthritis have found helpful:
When considering big ticket items like chairs or keyboards, Jeardeau suggests going to an office supply store to try out several options before making a purchase.
It can take some trial and error to find adaptive equipment that works best, but often a few new supplies can ease discomfort and make your workday more enjoyable again.